The Mutual Recognition of Credentials Agreement (MRA) was established in 2004 by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), the Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (CASLPA), the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT), and the Speech Pathology Association of Australia (SPA). In 2008 the New Zealand Speech-language Therapists' Association (NZSTA) and the Irish Association of Speech and Language Therapists (IASLT) were included in this agreement, producing a new document.
It is an agreement which allows members of signatory associations to apply for mutual recognition of their credentials from another signatory association. The premise of substantial equivalence underlies the agreement, i.e. under certain terms and conditions an individual’s credentials are deemed substantially equivalent (MRA Agreement 2008). This is not equality or reciprocity, as each of the signatory associations has specific requirements for applicants.
The fee for an application under the Mutual Recognition Agreement is NZD625 and is non-refundable.
Payment Options are:
Electronic payment to NZSTA account number: 38 9012 0192936 00 Swiftcode is CITINZ2X
OR Cheque/bank draft made out to NZSTA
Who may be able to apply under the MRA:
- ASHA certificate holders
- certified members of CASLPA
- certified members of RCSLT
- certified members of Speech Pathology Australia
- full members of IASLT
There are some additional requirements, full information on these is contained in the next section.
Overseas-trained therapists who do not hold the specified memberhsip of one of the signatory associations listed above or who do not meet the specific criteria under MRA, as detailed below, and who wish to become a member of the NZSTA may still be able to apply but under a separate process called the Qualifications Approval Process.
Before Completing the Application Form
- Please read the Procedure document
- Please read the additional requirements that you need to be aware of.
- Read the Guide to Evidence of Dysphagia Competency if you are required to provide certified evidence, as per the application checklist on the application form. Please note that if you do not meet the dysphagia competency requirements you are not able to apply uner the MRA.
- For further additional information on the MRA please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions section.
Application for NZSTA Membership under the MRA (2008)
To apply for membership of the NZSTA under the MRA, download and fully complete the MRA Application Form.
Your application will not be considered until full information and/or evidence as requested is provided.